Book One : The Prophecy : XVII : Breathe of Life

XVII

Breathe of Life


With a kiss let us set out for an unknown world…
Alfred de Musset.


The sun set for the fifth time over the sleeping bodies of Belle and Eveline, both covered in thick red blankets to preserve their bodies’ heat whilst a solemn and ethereal song filled the cold and silent abbey as the angel’s voices filled the great space, covering it in a light coating of sorrow. Outside, the shadows led by Lagmar waited patiently for news of death and Galean. Within Theodore sat quietly within a pew close to the altar, his head between his hands. Exhaustion riddled his body and drank from his bones as he listened to the hollow song that penetrated him deeply, causing the thick roots that had wrapped themselves about his heart to fall away. Michael and Gabriel together lit the abbey candles, the warmth of their glow touching the faces of Eveline and Belle as the early sun kisses the buds of a rose. After a while the singing stopped and the angels, tired and spent were released from their places within the choir pews. As usual, they left to make for one of the outer rooms where for a few hours they could rest their eyes whilst Gabriel stood watch over the two bodies. The abbey grew quiet but for the light sounds of the flickering candles as Gabriel made his way over to Theodore.
“Cael go and rest your eyes,” he ordered gently, standing gracefully before the downtrodden angel, his face white and his eyes heavy.
“Still she does not awaken,” Theodore groaned, his up raised gaze baring the marks of internal torture.
“Time is a great healer,” Gabriel soothed as he came to sit beside the angel. “Soon they will open their eyes when the time is right for them to do so.”
“Why has Heiden not come? She is his granddaughter,” Theodore replied faintly.
“Heiden moves like the wind, sometimes we see Him and sometimes we do not,” Gabriel said with firm eyes. “He is here Cael, He is watching over Celestine and Belle. Do you doubt Him?”
“I doubt myself,” Theodore said with furrowed brows, his golden locks falling over his youthful face and bright eyes.
“Why?”
“From one decision such consequences have sprouted up in my way, leading only to misery and despair. Sometimes I rather feel like doctor Jekyll and at other times like Mr Hyde.” Theodore said quietly as he looked into the beautiful and serene face of Gabriel, one of the oldest angels in Heaven.
“That is quite some analogy don’t you think?” Gabriel said with curious blue eyes. Theodore looked into the bright and blazon pair of eyes, both of them a mixture of a thousand shades of blue, so unearthly, so unhuman and so angelic. It had been over a decade since Theodore had known himself as Cael and in all that time his world had been turned on its axis.
“It bears some likeness to myself,” Theodore said with bitterness. “I seem to transition from being the Cael that spent so many years tracking and ridding London of shadows, revered and respected. I had all the qualities man yearns to have in abundance; kindness, compassion, strength, courage and intelligence. Yet as I got older, all that had once brought me peace and contentment wasn’t enough. I became darker, greedier and self-absorbed. The power and position I had claimed in London wasn’t enough, claiming Jophiels heart after so many years fraught with her refusals wasn’t enough. When you offered me a place among your league, none of what had earned me that place meant a thing to me. I cared not anymore for the vulnerable who were being tormented within the city and lost sight of the love I had for Jophiel.” Theodore drew himself up from the pew and let out a languid breath, turning away from Gabriel. “I jumped at the chance to be placed under a spell in order to become Eveline’s adopted brother and protector so that I could hide myself beneath another disguise, so that I wouldn’t have to look into the same pair of eyes, the same grey soul and selfish heart. Since then I have been a better and purer man than ever I can remember. All the things that I had once turned my eyes from, the simple pleasures in life became the greatest of pleasures. All the virtues I had come to dispense with returned and I had found redemption. I have never felt more duty bound or virtuous as I have these last few years, becoming a pilot and fighting for my country and becoming a husband whose love was unconditional and without complication. Until I was awaken from my dream, from my state of delusional redemption.”
“Virtuous demons prey on angels as they do humans,” Gabriel said as he stood back and watched Theodore pace up and down the aisle, his shoulders heavy and rigid. “We are not created perfect and nor should we be, we have the gift of free will, the ability to change and alter. This darkness you feel within, this pull towards greed and power you can control if you wish it. Redemption is still within your grasp, if you wish to claim it. Jophiel even when faced with death saw goodness in you, her last words were laced with hope and a desire for you to better yourself, to shake those heavy shoulders of their burdens.”
“What if I have no control over the sly serpent within? At every turn, with redemption whispering into my ear still I wave it away, still I give in to my inner needs, needs I place above others,” Theodore said as he ran his fingers through his hair. “Such a change has swallowed me up these last few weeks, such an alteration that even my wife looks into my eyes and sees a stranger. Even now, anger swirls within the pits of my soul. I am glad that Galean is gone never to return, I would feel gladder still if he were dead. Are those not the words of an unyielding being? Am I not as bad as the shadows that stand outside this abbey?”
“A sly and slithering serpent lies within all of us Cael,” Gabriel said with clarity, his crystal gaze unwavering, clenching at Theodore’s soul with determination. “Look at me!” Theodore stopped pacing, his back bent with grievous emotion. Such fine clothes did he wear, such fine features did he bare, no one could have thought him anything but angelic, a great warrior of light dressed in the nature of man. Letting his hand fall from his head, he turned slowly to face the great and ageless knight of Heaven. “The serpent can mean many things to us, it can become our conscience when we need it, our companion when we are lonely and our most benevolent of enemies. You are not a shadow of Lagar, you serve Heiden and you are married to his granddaughter. Your duty is to protect her, to help her reclaim her throne and to take her from this world, transporting her through the voids of time so that she may once again be joined with her own people and land. Cast your serpent aside and see sense, speak not of poetic agony and become the great man Jophiel always shielded and loved. Your feet were never meant to stand in shadow, they must always face the sun.”
“I being one angel will not be strong enough to fight of the forces of evil that will come after us like the quiet of a storm. How can I shield her?”
“In time she will embrace her powers and her strength will become your shield as much as yours will be hers,” Gabriel said kindly, his head slightly tilted to one side, his eyes trying to take in all of the sorrow filled angel so caught between the countless shades of light and darkness. “Prophecies are not always legitimate, they do not always come to light. Forget your paranoia it serves you ill, take up all those virtues you once proclaimed to hold and become the better man, the better angel. Do away with your fears and your wallowing, they will only feed the serpent within and allow it to grow, its venom consuming all the goodness within your soul.”
“Is it so wrong to hope that she may want a simple life with me in Keswick as was our plan?” Theodore asked with desperate eyes. “It is not that I wish to detain her from all that you and Heiden wish her to become. But she is not ready to be a Queen or a warrior, she has a gentle soul and sweet nature. She is a pacifist, she will never pick up a blade in order to murder someone.”
“She has already killed, though it was not her choice,” Gabriel said quietly, his hands falling into the depths of his pockets as a cold draft swept by him. “When she awakens she will not be that sweet natured woman you married, she will be changed and you may find yourself having to change with her.”
“And if she chooses to stay here?”
“I cannot force you or Celestine to do as I and Heiden would wish you both to do, but I would plead with you to try and understand that her life was never meant to be one of servitude and ignorance, she is after all not only the daughter of Unyae but she is the daughter of a King. It is in her blood to rule, it is in her blood to lead and whether she acknowledges it or not, it is in her blood to fight for the right to be Queen. She has been blessed with greatness, a greatness far greater than you or I could imagine. She is the ray of light that is so badly yearned for by those who now find themselves bound by the great oppressor…darkness. Would you take that from her so that you may live a simple life? Would you wish to see all her greatness simply discarded and forgotten because you fear that you will one day be unequal to her? That man’s eyes will only ever gaze upon her and not you?”
“Your words are potent,” Theodore said coldly. “It is not my own self that I worry about in regards to my wife, it is the great risk that walks in her shadow that I fear.”
“That shadow will only deepen if she refuses to accept who she is,” Gabriel said, his eyes turned to the still body of Eveline. He breathed out a heavy sigh and walked away from Theodore towards the high altar, passing through the altar railings and coming to stand over Eveline. Theodore followed his master and stood near to the railings, looking on with a sombre gaze. “When one looks at her for the first time they will see her mother,” Gabriel smiled gently as he looked down on the young woman, so fair and beautiful. “But if you look closer you see traces of her father. The small creases that act like wings upon her eyes, that constant look of hesitance and determined nose. She is sweet in nature like her mother, but strong willed and intelligent like her father. A great King or Queen will not last long upon a throne by being simply sweet natured, they must be reverent and strong. They must stand against the great storms like great cliffs stand against the unyielding waves of the sea. With her right hand she must wield kindness, compassion and love. With her left hand she must wield strength, intelligence and wisdom so that those who surround her always live in fear of her power, never to indulge the idea of exploiting or acting against her. She has indulged her kind nature too much and must now look upon her left hand with understanding.”
“And if she too falls from grace?” Theodore asked aloud, his hands upon the railings, tightly curled about them.
“That is why we surround her, that is why she must find those who can help her to control her power,” Gabriel replied with furrowed brows, laying a hand upon Eveline’s clasped hands. “If she is to rule as Heiden wishes her too, then she will need training. She is not yet fit to sit upon a throne, but in time it will be the throne that is not fit enough for her.”
“And where is she to have such training?” Theodore asked with a raised hand.
“She will know where to seek help,” Gabriel said with knowing eyes for he knew only too well that her spirit had split itself from her physical body, knew that she had been in counsel with Heiden.  It had been for that reason that he kept Theodore at bay, least she should awaken from her dream. As he looked over at Theodore, whose face was immersed with confusion he caught a glimpse of a figure, huddling close to the organ which lay some distance from the altar. At once he knew the eyes of his descendant and brought a hand to his head, for if indeed Galean was present within the Abbey then the consequences he knew would be bloody. “Go now and rest your eyes for you are weary and heavy with burdens,” Gabriel ordered Theodore. Theodore lifted his hands from the railings and held Gabriel’s gaze.
“You will alert me if she awakens?” he asked, his words crisp.
“Of course,” Gabriel said with a slight bow. He waited patiently for Theodore to leave the Abbey through the side entrance, making his way down to a room beneath where he could rest a little. Once the side door had shut, he stood still for a few moments to ensure there was privacy before lifting his eyes to the organ. “I told you to return to your father, where my orders not explicit enough?”
“I could not leave her, not when she lies dying,” Galean replied, his response echoing within the abbey as he came to stand in front of the organ. “If that means giving up my life to ensure that she lives then so be it.”
“I never mistook you for a fool Galean,” Gabriel said with icy tones, he had felt Eveline’s hand twitch when Galean spoke, rendering him slightly shocked and relieved. “She is not dying, she is sleeping.”
“That is not what I heard,” Galean said, his face and figure in full view.
“And what did you hear?”
“Lagmar is proclaiming that she lies dying,” Galean said with a haunting gaze. Gabriel observed his pale face and withdrawn eyes, he did not look anything akin to his strong and warrior like self. Instead he looked undone and broken, a shade of the man he had been the night he had raided the mortuary to save Eveline and Belle. “He tells his shadows that they both lie dying, is it true?”
“Jophiel gave herself to save Belle,” Gabriel said with a heavy heart, he could feel Galean’s pain as though it lined the walls of the great Abbey and drenched all that lay within. “She will live and in time all of this will be but a fragment of her memory.”
“Why has she not awoken yet?” Galean asked curiously.
“Perhaps you should come down here, it will only rouse those beneath if they hear your voice echoing about the Abbey,” Gabriel ordered kindly. Galean nodded before turning on his heel and disappearing behind the organ. It was not long before his footsteps could be heard as he descended the winding steps that led to the organ. Soon he came to stand before the great doors. He turned his eyes as the door shook once more.
“Et mortuus est?” a familiar voice called out. Galean stood close to the doors and felt himself growl inwardly as Lagmar sneered loudly, knocking on the doors once more. Everything within him wanted to open the doors and kill the vile demon that plagued Eveline. It took him considerable strength to walk away and turn his back on the demon that had brought with him the plague of Hell. Gabriel watched Galean and he made his way up the nave, dressed simply in navy robes.
“You went home?”
“I was there one night until I could sleep under the moon of Unas no more,” Galean replied as he came to stand before the altar railings.
“Your father, does he know that you have returned here?”
“He did not know that I had returned to Meer,” Galean said as Gabriel unhooked the chains of the altar railings, standing aside for the prince.
“Your presence tonight brings with it great peril, this you know?”
“My father tells me that I am selfless and honourable as a great King must be,” Galean said as he entered the holy altar, his eyes blinking quickly as though nervous. “I have lost a great many precious things thus far in my life, if I must be selfish and claim some time with her then I care not for the consequences.”
“You must look upon her with great regard,” Gabriel said as the young prince passed him by, coming to stand before Belle first.
“I do.”
Gabriel attached the chains once more to the railings and turned, folding his arms in front of him as Galean kissed the child’s forehead tenderly. He placed a hand upon her cheek and looked down into her peaceful face and let forth a barely audible cry.
“So young and innocent to have had to look into the very eyes of Lagar himself,” he said quietly as a tear fell from his eye and stained Belle’s cheek, the water rolling down her face and dripping onto the stone table. “Will she remember?” he turned to Gabriel who shook his head.
“No she will not remember all that has past,” the angel said softly. “When she awakens, she will return to her parents, return to a normal life.”
“She will be safe from him?”
“She will be guarded until such a time as she is able to guard herself,” Gabriel said with a nod. Galean brought the thick rug that lay across the child up to her neck, tucking it in around her slight frame.
“I have something in which I would like to ask,” he announced to Gabriel, his eyes refusing to lift from Belle.
“Yes?”
“May you give me a few moments with Eveline, alone?”
“I’m not sure it would be safe,” Gabriel said with a frown.
“Please, I will leave immediately, never to return,” Galean pleaded, his hands trembling. “This I promise.”
“How will I know you will not break your promise and seek her out?”
“I give you my word.”
Gabriel saw the honesty in Galean’s eyes and nodded before turning and leaving the high altar, only turning once more when he came to the side door. With a sigh he exited the Abbey and closed the door behind him, leaving Galean alone.

*

Galean stood like stone upon the ground before Eveline, who was so peacefully laid out one would have thought her dead. Her auburn hair fell about the stone table beautifully, thick tresses neatly placed over her shoulders and chest. A golden blanket lay across her frail body and her hands were clasped together upon her stomach. She looked like an angel, her skin fair, her lips pale and her eyes unmoving. His chest grew tight and deep within him, the heavy storm clouds began to dissipate as he looked upon her face with a mixture of love and guilt. He took a step up so that he stood over her.
“My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep; the more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite,” he whispered softly, his right hand resting upon her own entwined hands, surprisingly warm and soft. “Can you hear me?” he asked quietly, his vivid blue eyes searching her face for any sign of life. Nothing moved and no words were spoken in reply. “I thought you dying,” he spoke on, unafraid of the silence and in need to converse with Eveline. “When I returned to my native land, I found no peace in the moon and no comfort in my home. My heart could not rest knowing you were injured so and when I lay upon my bed, my eyes refused to close, your face infiltrating my gaze, your words penetrating my weeping heart.” Galean swept aside his long locks of disgruntled hair. “As the sun began to rise over my homeland I heard a lark sing out and rose from my bed, broken and bent and when I walked to my window I found the lark sitting upon a branch, singing to another lark close to him,” Galean smiled weakly at the memory. “I felt as though it were a sign that I should return to you. And here I stand, stripped of my strength and courage, a mere man, weakened and aggrieved. How my subjects would smile and jest to see to me so low as to think myself unalive because a woman lies dying. How ashamed would the great Greek and Roman Gods would be to see me beg and plead for you to awaken,” Galean closed his eyes briefly before opening them once more. “It is a pain I know only too well, a pain I wish to never feel again. When we sat in the shelter that night, I said to you that I had no heart to give. I lied. The moment I first beheld you, I felt my heart beat again and when you pressed your hand to my chest, it was though you had breathed life into me once more. I have been wandering through a vicious winter’s storm and your touch, your true touch was like the first ray of spring, melting away the heavy and bitter snow that threatened to turn my heart to ice.” As he spoke he felt Eveline’s hand tremble ever so lightly and looked away from her face. “My love?” he whispered in vain, his eyes trailing themselves over her hands, chest, heart and throat until finally they came to look upon her unyielding face. “So still, not even your chest rises as you breathe, your breath so…,” he placed a finger upon her lips. “So faint and soft.” As he spoke, the abbey filled with a silver light as the moon shone through the great east window. “And your skin, pale and sickly bares only a hint of warmth,” he touched her cheeks with the back of his hand. “And then there are your eyes, so very gold and deep as though a thousand suns lingered within them. Now they are shut to the world like those of Venus when she sleeps,” he traced her eyes gently with his index finger and felt his heart shudder and his throat fill with pain. Galean cared not for his need to speak of her in poetic form, for there was no other way in which he could behold her. He wanted his words to seep into her heart, mind and soul so that she could awaken, so that he could drench himself in her beautiful gaze before leaving her for good, never to return, never to look upon her again. For married and bound to another she was, and such was the river that divided them that any attempt to cross would only lead to either one of them being washed away. He would have to be content with this and all the precious moments they had shared with one another, he would have to feed off their memories until he rendered himself upon the steps of death. For even as he embraced the lips of death would her own replace the cold and dark kiss. “Won’t you awaken for me so that I may drown myself within your gaze once more?” Galean turned his head away in shame. “Pitiful are my words, you are not mine and my love no matter its purity is a curse.” He looked up at the great window and drew in a breath as he beheld the outline of the moon, full and bright. “Even the moon jests at my pain.” Galean, his eyes weary and sore let the tears fall, let the shame and guilt swirl within his heart at his poetic words of declaration. “If I could stay and watch you from afar I would,” he whispered softly. “But I am bound to my duty, bound to my people and land. To be here as I am is selfish and dangerous, for outside shadows encircle us like a group of wolves encircling their prey, ever patient and cunning.” A great knock shook the Abbey once more as he spoke, heralding him to stiffen with fear and anguish. Galean’s grasp of Eveline’s hands tightened slightly as the echo filled the church.
When at last it fell silent he turned again to Eveline. “When I first beheld you as a babe, crying in the arms of your dying parents my heart had already pledged its allegiance to you unbeknown to me, even as my own family lay dying in place of you. Your mother looked up into my eyes and told me to place the tip of my little finger into your mouth to calm you as you were teething.” Galean lifted one of her little fingers and stroked it lightly. “Even as they lay dying, their thoughts were not of themselves but of you. Your father held your mother in his arms as she whispered to me my name and smiled before drawing her last breathe. I did not how it was that she knew my name until I had been told about the prophecy and that it was her that had seen our future,” Galean smiled as he stroked her finger gently, instant comfort and relief flooding his body. “Then when I first beheld you as you now are, a rare and beautiful woman did I understand your mothers smile. They knew that you and I were bound to one another.” Galean wiped his eyes with the sleeves of his coat. “But it was too late when I arrived, you were bound and married to another who happens to be my greatest of friends and ally. Now our friendship has withered and decayed because our hearts love the same.”
Galean lifted his hand away from Eveline and dipped it into the pocket of his long coat, taking out his mother’s jewelled necklace. For a moment he simply looked down at the yellow jewelled star and felt it warm his skin.
“When we kissed, my parent’s necklaces glowed for the first time in all the years that I have had them,” Galean exclaimed as he held the necklace up before his eyes, spinning it about. A ray of silver light hit the yellow diamond causing it to erupt with a majestic glow. “It is said that if the possessor of one of the necklaces calls out for their other, the necklace glows and guides them to their twin. Seeing as though I must leave you, never knowing if you are safe then I must..,” he closed his eyes in pain. “No…, then I wish to give you my mother’s necklace so that if you need me, I can hear and find you.” Galean gently unclasped the necklace and wound it about Eveline’s elegant throat, clasping it once it had been positioned into place. With gentleness, he positioned the yellow jewel under the edge of her gown so that Theodore could not see it and take it from her. “Even touching your fair skin seems ungodly and wrong,” he chided to himself, his being warped by love and conflicted by loyalty. “I promised you that I would never touch you whilst you are bound to another and you in return asked for a parting gift, a kiss,” he smiled broadly as the memory of their first kiss struck him like lightening. “And such a parting gift it was, still the remnants of that touch pierce my soul.” As Galean spoke with profound sincerity he heard the gentle sounds of raindrops as they hit the abbey roof, strengthening with each passing minute. He looked upwards to the ceiling and closed his eyes as the sound of the rain heightened. Time was passing like water under a bridge and he knew that Gabriel would return soon. “I must leave soon and without a trace,” he said aloud to Eveline and Belle. “If I am seen then there will be no way out without having to face Lagmar and if that should happen then I am afraid that this will be the last time in which we see one another. He is stronger than I and my killing of his son has not faded from his memory, he will not let me live out the night without one of us dying.” Galean felt a surge of nausea besiege him as he suddenly realised how foolish it had been of him to come. “My father and brother will not be able to stand against Beon alone. Gabriel was right, I am a fool and my foolishness can only lead to misfortune.” With an anxious frown, Galean ran his fingers through his thick mass of hair. As the abbey filled with the sound of the falling rain, he turned from the great window and bent his head low over Eveline’s. He gently lifted her head and body so that he could hold her close to him. With trembling fingers he swept away the slight strands of auburn hair that softly danced as a cold draft sifted through the great church. He held her close and felt himself again ache deeply, his throat burning with grief and his eyes welling with hot tears of anguish. Quietly he bent over her head and touched her lips with his own, warming them and teasing them to life. Tears fell onto her eyelids as he lifted his lips away from her and kissed her forehead lightly before kissing her cheek and nose. “I pray that we will meet again soon and will live in hope of that day,” he said through a whisper.

*

Gabriel entered the abbey vaults and found the great prince of angels standing aloft, upright and silent. His great wings of gold were gently folded close to his body as he stood watch over the young guardians who lay asleep within their white wings, like bats hanging upright from the ceiling. Gabriel looked over the two dozen or so guardians before his gaze fell to the sleeping form of Cael, who lay upon a stone tomb, his features troubled and his body curled into itself. Michael followed Gabriel’s gaze before turning his silver eyes back to his friend.
“Can you see into his dreams?” Gabriel asked Michael as he walked over to Cael’s sleeping form, casting out his left hand and spreading his fingers.
“His dreams are dark and troubled,” Michael replied quietly as he watched Gabriel hover his hand over the young angel’s body. “What are you doing?”
“Soothing him,” Gabriel muttered. “Though I doubt he will allow me to soothe him, stubborn as he is.”
“You should be upstairs guarding Celestine and the child,” Michael exclaimed with furrowed brows. “Why have you come down to the vaults?”
“I have not left them alone old friend,” Gabriel said with a serious tone.
“Who stands over them?”
Gabriel whipped his hand away from Cael and turned to Michael. There were four levels within the hierarchy of angels, he was known as a dominion, a silver winged angel. Michael was one of the twelve knights, a golden winged angel. The twelve knights of Heaven were among the royal council, they were the oldest of angels and there powers vast and great. Gabriel was a level lower than his superior, Michael. He was only four thousand, seven hundred and twenty six years old unlike his friend who was over six thousand years old. No matter their age and difference, both angels had been lifelong friends and together they had formed a great and formidable army of white winged guardians. And yet, he knew that Michael would insist that Galean return with him to Heaven to account for his actions against Lagman. Dominions were the great judges of Heaven and ruled over a great judicial system that made all who pledged their allegiance to Heiden accountable for their actions. Gabriel knew that Heiden would not condemn Galean to death, for he played a pivotal part in Celestine’s present and future. However he would have to stand accountable for killing Lagman, who had been on trial for his part in the great slaughter that had killed Heiden’s wife and three sons. Heiden had wanted to make an example from Lagman and had been stripped of that right due to Galean. He understood his descendants grief and need for vengeance, but the legal system was strict for a reason, it had been created so that all would be equal, so that no one could deem themselves greater than another. Galean had over stepped the mark and though he had been ordered to find Lagman and bring him back to face trial where he most certainly would have been condemned to life, he instead had killed the demon and stripped all those who had lost loved ones of the right to have justice. If he was brought back to Heaven, he would be placed before all those he had angered and it would be up to them how he was punished. Gabriel knew that Galean’s return to Heaven in chains would only weaken the campaign to aid Celestine in her quest to regain her throne and defeat not just her enemies but the enemies of all those who walked in light.
“You know who guards Celestine,” Gabriel said with a knowing look.
“Then you know that his journey here is in vain? I am bound to bring him back to the high council,” Michael said with a severe look. He spread his wings slightly with frustration. “Why should I let him go?”
“You know why friend,” Gabriel argued firmly. “If he returns to Heaven then our cause is in vain, he is needed in Meer. A great war threatens to tear apart the Northern Kingdom and if it falls into the hands of Beon, then it will fall into the hands of Heidan. Our hope in Celestine regaining the south will be in vain if the North falls, you know this. You know what will happen if Heidan finds the garden and is crowned.”
“Only those bound by the blood of the Kings can be crowned in Calhuni,” Michael said with a disgruntled groan.
“If Heidan takes blood from an heir and drinks it then he can be crowned,” Gabriel said with pleading eyes as he came before his friend. “There is one who shares the blood of Celestine’s father, one with whom Heidan is seeking. His name is Elion and he is the son of Lady Turin, only sister to Elieor.” Michael’s brows deepened as his eyes filled with trouble. Around them the vaults became quiet and chilled as though in response to Gabriel’s admission.
“How do you know more than I?”
“I am Galean’s ancestor and he has spoken with me at length of the problems facing the three Kingdoms of Calnuthe and Meer. Being an ancestor and mentor of the Prince he has pledged his trust in my council,” Gabriel said with a slight smile, of all the descendants he as a silver winged angel had counselled and mentored, Galean had been the most pleasant to nurture, coming to him as a young man who had suffered greatly from the loss of his mother. It had not taken Gabriel long to observe the greatness within Galean, he was a rarity among men. He not only wielded strength, intelligence and wisdom but kindness, compassion and love. Gabriel had never before met a more worthier man than Galean which was why he defended and protected him so. He knew that if Galean were to become Celestine’s betrothed that the Kingdoms of Meer, Calnuthe and Heaven would be revived, in a way never before seen. But so much stood in the way of Gabriel’s hopes and aspirations and if he and his kind did not find a way in which to free Galean of his transgressions, then everything they had held onto so tightly would begin to slip away, like dust filtering through their fingers.
“Gabriel?”
Gabriel blinked away his thoughts and breathed out a sigh of exasperation.
“Without Galean, Celestine’s future becomes darker and with it the future of all living things,” Gabriel said with weary eyes. “I believe Galean has redeemed himself of his actions, he is not a man who believes himself invincible, and he acted out of character but was moved by grief and anger. When have we not been moved by the same emotions?”
“We created a legal system so that all would be equal before Heiden until proven otherwise,” Michael answered darkly, his gaze sweeping the vault for any sign of life. “If I do not abide by the laws of our people and God then I am the embodiment of corruption, I am the pillar that stands between what is right and what is not. We are tasked with ensuing the legal system stays true to its routes and our laws, if any being takes the law into his or her own hands believing themselves above it then we have failed in our duty.”
“You have to ask yourself if it is worth it,” Gabriel pleaded. “I will stand in his place and receive his punishment if it means he can return to his father and people and stay alive so that all our hopes and ambitions may come about.”
“You would sacrifice yourself for another?” Michael asked cautiously, circling Gabriel slowly, his silver eyes shining as a stream of moonlight filtered into the vaults through a circular glass stained window.
“If it meant freeing Galean from his chains then yes, I would take his place before the council and take his punishment in order for him to fulfil his destiny,” Gabriel said with a lowered gaze, his superior observing him intently, his silver gaze penetrating Gabriel’s heart and mind, looking for any shadows of doubt and finding none.
“Your faith in him is great,” Michael whispered in a lowered tone as he stopped encircling Gabriel and came to stand before him with folded arms.
“I would place it in no other person but him. He does not know it yet but he is the key to saving our species,” Gabriel said, placing a hand upon his heart. “She will not survive without him, already she knows this, not fully understanding why it is in Galean that she must place all her hope and not Cael. But she knows that without him she cannot move forward, she will not be able to wield a sword or sit upon her throne without him by her side, guiding her along what will be a dark and formidable journey. He has become her cup of water and she his. If either one of them is slain by mortality then a dark and venomous shadow will fall upon all and in time we shall become dust.”
“You forget that Heiden is our God and King and that he still lives,” Michael said with a frown. “He is just as powerful.”
“And when he passes? Who shall take his place upon the throne? Heidan or Celestine?”
“Time will tell,” Michael said gravely. “But for all our sakes we must hope that it will be Celestine.”
“Then you see why I must stand in the place of Galean? Why I must take his punishment as my own?” Gabriel said with authority.
“I do.”
As both angels glared at one another they heard the sound of someone close to them and turned they gazes.
“He is here?” Theodore asked Gabriel and Michael angrily. “You allowed him to keep watch over my wife?”
“Galean is not your enemy Cael, why do you insist that he is?” Michael said coolly as Theodore found his feet and stood before them, frighteningly cross and tried.
“I am her husband!” Theodore yelled loudly. “And you speak of them both as though they were bound by marriage, they are not. I am hers and she is mine, no matter the prophecy, no matter your sordid opinions. She married me freely and without coercion. She does not belong to him, she belongs to me.”
“Cael calm down, your anger will not help matters,” Gabriel said, his eyes brimmed with warning and caution.
“He has become her cup of water and she his! Have you no respect for me? Respect for the oath she swore to me when we took our vows? Or am I some pawn in your game that needs to be taken care of?” Cael spat, his left fist thundering down upon the stone tomb he had been asleep upon, causing it to crack deeply. “The prophecy is not legitimate, if it were then she would be bound to Galean and not myself. And if you think I am the man in this prophecy then you are greatly mistaken. I do not wish for her to fall into darkness, I wish for her to embrace all that she is. That is all I have ever wanted for her.”
“You are right, not all prophecies are correct,” Michael replied calmly, raising a hand as though to order the young guardian to guard his tongue. “Celestine has indeed made her choice,” he turned to Gabriel who nodded. “And she choose you.”
“Then why are you standing here negotiating whether or not Galean should be brought back to Heaven and tried for his crimes? Would you do the same for me?” Cael implored stiffly as the sleeping angels now roused themselves from their states of slumber. Michael looked to Gabriel.
“Gabriel has offered to take his place.”
“And that makes it alright? Can we all stand in the place of other convicts?”
“Galean is needed in Meer, you know this Cael and you know why,” Gabriel said loudly, coming before the guardian and clasping his wrist tightly. “Would you watch his Kingdom fall because of your pride? Will you prove Jophiel wrong in her hopes of you?”
“Leave Jophiel out of this!” Cael replied coldly. “Am I not allowed the right in which to defend my opinions?”
“You are and do have that right,” Michael exclaimed as his golden wings spread wide, illuminating in the rays of the moon. Cael looked at both of his superiors before turning on his heel and running from the vaults, up the winding stairs to the door that led to main body of the abbey.
“Cael please think about what you plan to do!” Gabriel cried out as he followed the young man up the stairs. Cael swung open the oak door and ran into the nave of the abbey. As he came to the alter he stopped. Behind him came the footsteps of Gabriel, Michael and the rest of the guardians. Before him, Galean had Eveline in his arms, his mouth pressed against her own. Behind them the great doors of the abbey shook as they had done the last week. Outside the cries and laughs of shadows filled the abbey, they became enlivened as though they could see through the doors, observing the commotion that was taking place. Michael turned his gaze to the door and growled deep.
“Gabriel danger lurks everywhere, get Galean out of here now! And that is an order!”
Gabriel nodded and made for Cael who had now climbed over the alter railings and pulled Galean from Eveline, throwing him to the floor and taking out his sword of light.

*

Galean hit his head against the marble stone table and felt his body slide down onto the cold floor.
“Why is it that you seem to be lurking in the shadows like a parasite?” Theodore cried out, throwing back his cloak and taking out his sword of light. “She does not belong to you!”
“I wanted to ensure that she was well!” Galean replied as he forced himself to his feet, blood spilling from his head. He turned his gaze and was met with Gabriel’s. The silver wings of his ancestor were fully fledged and in one hand he held a great sword of golden light.
“Cael put away your sword now!” the angel ordered loudly as the rest of the guardians shielded the bodies of Eveline and Belle, chanting over them deeply. “I said now!”
“And will you take him into custody? Will you return him to Heiden and the council?” Theodore replied roughly, his angry eyes on Galean who had taken out two daggers.
“Cael I wish you no harm,” Galean pleaded kindly, knowing he was in the wrong. “I promise, I will not stand in the way of you or Celestine.”
“Your promises mean nothing to me now!” Cael spat as he swung his sword high in the air. Galean leapt out of the way as the sword came crashing down upon the side of the marble table.
“Cael please! Think of Belle!” Galean cried out with urgency as he quickly stepped away from the child, his hands raised in front of him, gripping the hilts of his daggers tightly.
“Why should I think of their safety and not you? You being here puts everyone in danger or are to you to high and mighty to admit to such a statement?”
“What has happened to you?” Galean asked with raised brows, blood trickling down his throat and chest. “Why have you altered so?”
“Don’t try to turn this around and blame me!” Cael laughed. “You have had your eyes on her from the moment you met her, it wasn’t good enough that she was mine, you just had to take her from me didn’t you? To prove that you are greater than me.”
“No, no that was never my intention,” Galean argued, beads of sweat falling from his forehead. Quickly he glanced over at the body of Eveline. “I’m sorry if I have caused you pain.”
“Wasn’t one wife enough for you? Why couldn’t you leave mine alone?”
“You speak as though your hands are clean from guilt old friend,” Galean said darkly as they both encircled one another. “As though your lips have been true and unyielding. Jophiel told me of your kiss, told me that you regretted leaving her.”
“And that somehow makes you the better man? I saw you kiss her!” Theodore cried out as the rain grew loud and roll of thunder shook the abbey.
“And I am sorry that I went against you,” Galean pleaded as he wiped his brow with his arm.
“Are you sorry that you kissed her? Sorry that you infiltrated her heart, mind and soul?”
Galean stopped moving and straightened his back, lowering his hands to his side.
“For loving her I cannot be sorry,” he said clearly as a stab of lightening hit the roof. “No matter how wrong it is, no matter how it may hurt you. I am only sorry that I crossed the line and wounded you, my friend and ally.”
“We are no longer friends,” Theodore hissed coldly. “You are as much an enemy to me as is Lagar!” Theodore raised his sword and swung it low. The sound of blades meeting resounded around the abbey as both angels fought against one another.
“Galean you must leave now!” Gabriel cried out as he lifted his feet off the ground and rose within the air, his wings spread wide and his sword held out. Galean looked up into his frightening face and nodded whilst throwing Theodore off guard.
“No!” Theodore shouted, getting onto his feet and running over to Galean. As though time itself had frozen, all those who had their eyes glued on the pair of angels shook as they saw the blade enter into Galean’s side. Galean cried out as he fell, his daggers crashing against the marble floor. Theodore stood frozen as he withdrew his blade from Galean. Galean clasped onto his side and closed his eyes as the pain cascaded through him. Above them the roof began to fall away as shadows infiltrated the abbey. Theodore looked up as heavy buds of rain fell upon his face. A heavy hand roughly grabbed Theodore.
“You’d better hope that Galean does not perish this night!” Gabriel said so darkly that Theodore’s body trembled.
“Gabriel get him out of here now!” Michael exclaimed as the abbey filled with shadows that scaled the walls. A great beam of moonlight fell over the high alter as parts of the roof fell and crashed, breaking apart the table of the high alter. Gabriel threw Theodore away from him and went to Galean. As he tried to shield Galean with his wings, a shadow fell upon him and crushed him to the ground. All about them, angels and demons fought one another, blades of light meeting fire. Rain pounded the abbey and another great roll of thunder shook the dismantling abbey. Theodore ran to Eveline and threw his body over her own as another angel enveloped Belle within his wings, taking her away, his body disappearing into thin air.

*

Eveline felt her heartbeat, loud and clear resounding through her body. She had felt his kiss and had patiently awaited her body’s response as her blood began to flow and her heart began to beat again. With a loud gasp, she awoke to great drops of rain falling upon her.
“Eveline!” A cry from above cried out. Opening her eyes loosely, she found her gaze settling upon a distressed Theodore, who was shielding her body with his own.
“Theodore?” she whispered softly as she became aware of her surroundings. Theodore’s body tensed as she spoke. With wide eyes and an open mouth he looked down into her face, rain pouring from his forehead and hair onto her own face. Theodore in a moment of hazed joy, lifted Eveline’s body to his own and hugged her tightly. With her body crushed against his own, Eveline turned her gaze.

“Galean!” she cried out as Galean’s body was dragged away from Gabriel by Lagmar. Lagmar stopped and turned his face to her and simply smiled before lifting his right hand to the sky. A great streak of lightning struck the demons hand. When the lightening had faded into darkness, Lagmar struck the marble floor with the same hand with such force that the abbey split into two, forcing the heavy oak doors to fall from their hinges. 







© Iseult O'Shea and OneCrown&TwoThrones, 2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Iseult O'Shea and OneCrown&TwoThrones with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Comments

Popular Posts